Francis L. Stevens came to the BH-BL School District in 1928 as a teacher of mathematics and science, and athletic coach and Assistant Principal. He coached basketball for the boys team for eight years. He was appointed Supervising Principal in 1938.
In 1961, Francis was appointed the first BH-BL Superintendent of Schools, which he continued until his retirement in 1967. He worked on the growing school system and administered the rapidly building program. Francis also devoted his talents to the Boy Scouts, the Conservate Movement, organized the BH-BL Rationing Board and was the Defense Director in World War II. Francis served on numerous New York State educational committees. He was a charter member of the Rotary Club and a very active member of Calvary Episcopal Church in Burnt Hills. He was instrumental in the formation of the Adult Education Program, and he started the Summer School program.
In 1951, Union College presented the Outstanding Alumni Award to him. He was honored when elected to membership in Phi Delta Kappa, the Educational Honor Society, and he was also a participant in a project to compare education in the United Stated and the Iron Curtain Countries. In 1967, the Board of Education re-named the Ballston Lake Elemen-tary School as the F.L. Stevens Elementary School. In 1939, the yearbook was dedicated to him. The inscription read, “In appreciation to the kind, sincere, friendly service he has given to us and to the community in which we live.” This continued throughout his entire life.
Frank Stevens passed away July 25, 1984.