October 6, 2020
Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of the BUrnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District, upon recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools, hereby accepts the below Memorandum of Agreement with the School Alliances of Substitutes in Education.
Agreement by and between Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District and the School Alliances of Substitutes in Education
The agreement by and between the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District, Burnt Hills, New York, a School District july organized and existing under the law of the State of New York (“School District”) and the School Alliances of Substitutes in Education (“Alliance”), the bargaining unit that represents substitute teaching employees provides as follows:
Whereas, the School District and the Alliance are party to a collective bargaining agreement for the period of July 1, 2016-June 30, 2022; and,
Whereas, beginning in March 2020, the COVID-19 virus has caused a Global Pandemic; and,
Whereas, the New York State Department and the New York State Department of Health created guidance for how New York public schools had to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic; and,
Whereas, the guidance created by the New York State Education Department does not allow for entire elementary class rosters to be safely socially distanced in a classroom; and,
Whereas, the District has created a pod structure where an elementary class roster is split in two and taught by the District’s teacher in one room and supervised by another adult in a different room; and,
Whereas, the District is using substitute employees represented by the Alliance to supervise many of the pod classrooms; and,
Whereas, the District wants to offer additional compensation to certified teachers serving in pod supervision roles; and,
Whereas, the District and the Alliance have discussed the matters and have mutually agreed to resolve the matters under the following terms and conditions.
- Certified substitute teachers hired to supervise a pod during the 2020-21 school year shall be entitled to an additional den dollars ($10) each day, for a total of $132 per day.
- Certified substitute teachers hired to supervise a pod during the 2020-21 school year shall not be expected to create lesson plans or be responsible for the grading of students. However, the substitute pod teacher may be asked to help with instruction at the direction of Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake teacher.
- It is agreed that even though certified substitute teachers hired to supervise a pod will be in the same assignment for more than five days they are not entitled to the long-term substitute rate of pay. The parties agree that because they are not assuming the full responsibility for instruction of the pod, they are not “substituting” in the mutually understood practice described in Article 5.20 of their Agreement.
- Law of New York: This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York.
- Non-Precedent: The parties agree that this agreement is non-precedent setting, unique to the conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic and shall not be referred to in any future situation involving another employee or incident.
- Expiration: All provisions of this Agreement shall sunset on June 30, 2021 unless mutually agreed to by the parties in writing.
- FOIL: The parties recognize that this Agreement is subject to the New York State Freedom of Information Law. If a request for a copy of this agreement is received by the District, the District will notify the Association in writing of said request at least three days prior to any disclosure of this Agreement.
- Full Agreement: This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties, supersedes all prior agreements between the parties, and may not be altered, amended, or modified except by a writing executed by both parties.
- Board Approval: This Agreement is subject to final approval by the Board of Education.