As the weather continues to improve, elementary schools will be able to return to a modified level of normalcy during school day recess. Beginning Wednesday, March 17, BH-BL elementary students will be able to use playground equipment and structures that have been off limits due to the COVID pandemic with the caveat that various health and safety precautions will be in place.
For BH-BL elementary students, this means they can now use the swings, slides, jungle gyms, etc., as well as play games that require limited use of sports equipment (kick ball, jump rope, basketball, etc).
In order to continue to keep students and staff safe, the district will also continue to adhere to the Department of Health guidelines. The district’s Playground Equipment Reopening Plan looks like this:
- Limited number of students at one time. There will be only one class at a time on the playground, so typically no more than 25 students at once. (Both pods from the same class can participate at once.)
- Keep a safe distance. The six-foot social distancing requirement will be maintained as much as possible.
- Wear face coverings. Face masks/coverings must be worn at all times.
- Clean hands. Students must wash their hands before and after using the playground.
- Clean Routinely. Frequently touched metal or plastic areas on the playground (i.e., grab bars, railings, play structures, etc.) will be cleaned routinely.
While the district reopens its playgrounds to students during school hours/recess, it should be noted that playgrounds will remain closed to the public for the time being.
Lastly, in regard to the use of sports equipment, each activity presented will follow specific safety guidelines designed to keep equipment clean and minimize sharing of equipment. All equipment will be cleaned and sanitized regularly and students will maintain 12-foot social distancing or wear masks when participating in activities.