Message from Principal Evans
I wanted to share some of the procedures for the upcoming school year with you. We will be trying to make this school year as close to “normal” as possible. However, we are incorporating some of the positives from last year into our plan as well.
- Arrival. Families can drop off students in the lower parking lot from 8:20 until 8:45 a.m. If students arrive after 8:45 a.m. they will need to be signed in at the main office. Buses will arrive at the building between 8:20 and 8:40 a.m.
- Morning Recess. Students will go outside for morning recess between 8:20 and 8:40 a.m., and will play with grade level peers in designated areas.
- School Day. The official school day will be 8:45 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Specials. All specials like art, music, physical education and library will be held in their typical spaces this year. Students will travel in the hallways to these specials.
- Lunch/Recess. Half of the students in each class will eat their lunch in the cafeteria while the others will eat in their classroom, six feet apart. All students in the same grade level will then have recess together at the same time.
- Dismissal. Children who will be picked up daily will be dismissed from the gymnasium to the lower parking lot at 3:00 (not in front of the school). Families will wait in their cars with a designated sign in the windshield, as we did last year. These signs will be provided by the school. Please be prepared to show photo identification.
- Back to School Nights. This important event will be virtual again this year. More details will be emailed in the coming weeks.
- Supply Drop Off & Meet & Greet, September 7 @ 9 a.m. Instead of having an open house, we will have an optional opportunity for families to drop off supplies on Tuesday, September 7, between 9 and 10 a.m., weather permitting. This event is for students in grades 1-5, since kindergarten families will have separate orientation sessions. Tables will be set up along the periphery of the building arranged by grade level. Please label the bag of supplies so that our staff members can deliver it to the classrooms. Everything will be done outside and staff members will be available to assist and greet your child.
The PTA will also hold a separate supply drive-thru drop-off opportunity on September 7 from 5 to 6 p.m., during which time families can stop and drop-off supplies in front of the school, then a PTA member will deliver the students’ supplies to the classrooms.
Birthday Treats. Students may bring in birthday treats this year, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped. We won’t have children traveling around the building to deliver the birthday treats.
Cubbies/Lockers. Children will be allowed to use their cubbies and lockers this year to store their personal belongings.
Student Absences. We will treat student absences like we have in the past, with teachers sharing work that needs to be made up through work sent home, or through google classroom. An exception would be if an entire class is quarantined, then instruction would be provided virtually. Fingers crossed that this won’t happen this year!
Flexible Math Grouping. The first mathematics unit of the year will be done by homeroom teachers in grades 4-5. After that, we hope to start our flexible math grouping, where each teacher instructs different students in the grade level. More information about this will be sent home by the classroom teachers.
As we open this year, let’s remember that we are all in this together. We will encourage, support, communicate, and work with one another cooperatively on behalf of our children. We will grow and learn, make mistakes and adjust, as well as create new directions for the future of our Stevens Superstars. Our children need us more than ever, and we will rise to the challenge.
Together we thrive.