Unified Sports Program
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association and Special Olympics New York are proud to offer Unified Sports to NYSPHSAA member schools. Project Unify is made up of three main components:
- Inclusive Sports: combines athletes (players with intellectual disabilities) and partners (players without intellectual disabilities) to create athletic teams for training and competition. Participation is rooted in the principle of meaningful involvement which ensures that every player is given an opportunity to contribute to the success of his or her team through their unique skills. Inclusive activity is among the most conducive ways to break down stereotypes and foster relationships.
- Youth Leadership & Advocacy: provides students with and without intellectual disabilities opportunities to take on leadership roles in promoting Project Unify activities in their schools and in their communities.
- Whole-School Engagement: provides opportunities for all students to participate in school-wide campaigns and activities such as Fans in the Stands, Pledge and Plunge, and the R-word Campaign.
*The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District offers basketball and bowling. An interest meeting is held at the beginning of the school year for anyone interested.
- Unified Basketball Coaches: Erin Lavertu and Zach Cicard
- Unified Bowling Coach: Shawn Kline & Geoff Leggieri
Learn more about unified sports on the New York State Public High School Athletic Association website.