Building Council Helps Improve Education
Each BH-BL school has a Building Council whose goal is to help improve the quality of education for all students through a shared-decision making committee.
The committee is comprised of teachers, administrators, staff and parents. There are six teacher members selected for Building Council in each school who are also members of one of the six district K-12 committees: language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health and special services. In the middle school, team leaders are selected by grade level and department to represent their colleagues. Parents and CSEA are also part of the shared decision making group.
Building Council Goals
Three Year Goal
By school year 2019-20 we will be fully immersed in a new schedule and a solitary middle school bus run will be made available in order to increase the contact time with students.
The isolation of a middle school bus run will allow for more time in our master schedule, allowing for improvements and changes that would have a positive impact on our adolescent students.
Academic Goal: To increase conversations regarding literacy in our content areas in our grade level and department teams.
- Ongoing discussions at team meetings related to literacy. (reading, writing, verbal communication)
- Investigate Project Based Learning, cross curricular activities, or activities to do on your own
- Team Leaders sharing out at Council meetings
- Increase opportunities for professional development in areas surrounding literacy
Social-Emotional Goal: To create an environment where all students feel investment in the school community by learning and applying strategies that foster social emotional growth.
- Continue the homeroom-first period combination
- Continuation of activities to support team building
- Increase social cognition – educate faculty and staff in areas including but not limited to: growth mindset, social thinking, goal setting, mindfulness, CREST – Capturing Kids’ Hearts training for new staff or current staff who have not had the training
Building Council members and meeting dates
Meetings: March 14 | April 25 | May 9 | June 13
- Co-Chair: Principal Colleen Wolff
- Co-Chair: Kristin Trapini
- Administrator Rep.: Robert Duell
- CSEA Representative: Laurie Coniglione
- 6th Grade Parent Rep.: Lindsay DiMaso
- 6th Grade Teacher Rep.: Monica Hills, Lauren Mattison, Cheryl Rasmussen & Valerie Wadsworth
- 7th Grade Parent Rep.: Patti DeMarle
- 7th Grade Teacher Rep.: Todd Bucci & Matt Mascelli
- 8th Grade Parent Rep.: James Ireland
- 8th Grade Teacher Rep. Eric Devine & TBD
- World Language Rep.: Julie DeMarco
- SPED Teacher Rep.: Karen Kersch
- Fine Arts/Guidance Rep.: Lisa Johnson
- FACS/LCM/Health/PE Rep.: Lindsay Armbruster
- Professional Development: Kim Sprenger & Dolores Weaver
- Building Technology Representative: Matt Mascelli