O’Rourke Middle School Counseling Center Mission
The mission of the O’Rourke Middle School Counseling Center is to work cooperatively with students, school personnel, parents, and the community to help students make desirable educational, personal, and social decisions.
All Counseling Center staff can be reached by calling 518-399-9141, ext. 84040.
- Nancy Hyde | email@example.com | Ext. 84038 | 7-2 Team, hybrid and All 8th grade students on Teams 8-1, 8-2 and Virtual
- Kevin DeBonis | firstname.lastname@example.org | Ext. 84032 | 6th grade, hybrid students on Teams 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 and 7-1 Team, hybrid
- Jennifer Raucci | email@example.com | Ext. 84036 | Virtual for grades 6-7 students
Students and staff also rely on Naviance to help with school counseling and planning.
Mobile Crisis Contacts
For emergency evaluation (or call 911)
- Schenectady County | 518-292-5499
- Saratoga County | 518-741-6100
Outside Referrals for Therapists/Counseling
- Chelsea Place Psychological Services | 518-982-1886
- Karner Psychological | 518-456-5056
- Northeast Child and Family | 518-381-8911
- Northern Rivers | 518-426-2600
- Saratoga Center for the Family | 518-587-8008
Parents and School Counselors…Partners Helping Kids
As students progress from one grade to the next, their counselor moves with them, providing continuity and time to really get to know students and their parents. They take a holistic approach to making sure each student has a positive experience at O’Rourke Middle School and that they are well-prepared for successfully meeting the challenges of the future.
The president of the New York State Counselors’ Association states the following: “School counselors play an instrumental role in shaping students for success – not just academically, but socially, behaviorally, and emotionally as well.” For instance, they:
- Help students deal with and diffuse problems brought into school from home and outside the classroom
- Act as consultants to teachers and serve as sources of institutional knowledge for administrators;
- Provide academic and career guidance to students, and help them meet and overcome emotional- and mental- health challenges
- Establish and promote supportive learning environments
- Develop academic and behavioral intervention programs
- Foster and maintain parental involvement
At O’Rourke Middle School, the school counselor focuses on helping students balance the demands of school, family and friends. Special attention is paid to teaching “life skills” such as organization, study skills, time management, responsibility, cooperation, teamwork and other habits and attitudes that will serve students well in any classroom, job or social situation. Counselors are available as resources to parents and caregivers as students navigate their way through the middle years of their education.
Recommended Websites for Middle School Parents
There are hundreds of resources on the internet that Middle School parents could find helpful. Here are a few that we recommend:
- www.girlshealth.gov A very girl- and parent-friendly website from the U.S. Department of Health that covers many topics from drugs and bullying to illness and nutrition. A good starting point for a parent-daughter chat on difficult topics.
- www.terrificparenting.com by Dr. Randy Cale, psychologist and parenting expert. Website is loaded with parenting information.
- www.how-to-study.com A study skills resource site.
- www.khanacademy.org Thousands of videos that provide a full course on instruction in a variety of topics, from social studies to statistics.