What is the Board of Education Policy Manual?
The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Board of Education Policy Manual is a formal document that describes and controls how the district will operate. It includes hundreds of individually numbered policies that have been formally adopted by the Board of Education to date.
How are policies added or changed?
Under state law, there is a formal process by which policies are added to or changed in a school district’s policy manual. All proposed changes must appear on the agenda of at least two Board meetings before being approved. Proposed changes appear first as a discussion item at one meeting. Board members cannot vote on the change until a subsequent meeting. Policies are reviewed periodically to keep them up to date. One tool Board members use in this process is the Model School Boards Policy Manual provided by the New York State School Boards Association.
How do I find the policy I want?
The BH-BL Policy Manual is divided into 10 sections as shown in the Table of Contents below. Policies can be viewed as a web page and there are also print-friendly versions of policies. There are two ways to find the policy you want:
- Use the Table of Contents below and click on the relevant policy series.
- Use the search feature at the top of the website.
Policy Manual Table of Contents
- Policy Series 0000: Philosophy, Goals and Objectives
- Policy Series 1000: Community Relations
- Policy Series 2000: School Board Governance and Operations
- Policy Series 3000: Administration
- Policy Series 4000: Instruction
- Policy Series 5000: Student Policies
- Policy Series 6000: Fiscal Management
- Policy Series 7000: Facilities Development
- Policy Series 8000: Support Services
- Policy Series 9000: Personnel Policies