The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District creates an educational environment that ensures opportunities for learning, personal growth and social responsibility.
The above Mission Statement and the following list of Core Beliefs & Key Expectations for various groups within the school district were developed by more than 60 stakeholders in 1996 and were formally adopted by the Board of Education in 1997. Collectively, these statements are also called the District’s “Framework for Planning.”
- The BH-BL community values its children and the quality of their education.
- Comprehensive public education is available to all. The District provides a variety of experiences to allow all children to learn.
- High academic achievement is a priority.
- Students and staff need to be challenged to achieve excellence.
- Continuous improvement is essential.
- Change is the result of thoughtful study involving students, staff, and community.
- Learning is a lifelong process.
- Students, staff, parents, and community members are partners, and all have a personal responsibility in the educational process.
- Quality education is worth the investment and requires sound fiscal management.
Key Expectations For Students
All students will:
- Respect and be respected.
- Be prepared to learn to the best of their abilities.
- Use opportunities available to set personal goals and make informed choices to accomplish those goals.
Key Expectations For the Community
The community will:
- Value education.
- Be committed, supportive, and responsive to the schools.
- Share their expertise and resources.
- Provide bridges between school & life.
- Set high standards.
- Communicate and listen.
Key Expectations For Staff
All District employees will:
- Create an environment in which children are safe, treated fairly, and prepared for the future with quality instruction.
- Strive for excellence by working hard, continuing to learn and grow, and being adaptable, qualified, and well prepared.
- Respect, and be respected by, students, parents, & community.
- Work cooperatively and communicate openly with all partners in the educational process.
Demonstrate their accountability by:
- Using school & community resources responsibly.
- Setting, achieving, and assessing measurable goals.
- Participating in ongoing, proactive supervision.
Key Expectations For Parents
All parents will:
- Provide nurturance of children’s health and basic needs.
- Provide a home environment conducive to learning.
- Support the belief that academics are essential.
- Be informed and actively involved in the educational process.
- Teach and model respect for all persons and property.
- Teach and model discipline and their own values.
- Provide open, honest, and timely communication with school staff and other partners in the educational process.