Student Registration

Welcome & Registration Information

This website contains much information of interest to families considering a move to New York’s Capital Region or more specifically, to the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district. In addition to viewing information under each school, we suggest you also take a look at District Overview, Academic Programs, and Community Info.

Registration Procedures for BH-BL Pupils

The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake School District does NOT accept non-resident or tuition-paying students. All pupils must be legal residents of the school district.

Parents of new elementary pupils should be aware that their child will probably — but not always — attend the elementary school that is closest to their home. In order to keep class sizes as small as possible across the district, we have a few cases each year where new elementary children are placed in a different school with smaller classes. District Registrar MaryAnn DeLuca (see below) can answer questions about this policy.

Step No. 1

The first step in registering to attend the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Schools is to document that students are legal residents of the district. Parents should call or visit the Registrar MaryAnn DeLuca, in the District Office wing at BH-BL High School, 88 Lakehill Road, Burnt Hills, NY 12027, (518) 399-9141, ext. 85015, to obtain a Student Residence Questionnaire.

At least three documents are needed to prove residency. These can include: an original lease or original completed contract to buy or build a home (including the seller’s realtor and closing date), utility bill, license, automobile insurance policy, bank account statement, voter registration, extract of NY State tax return, or property or school tax bill. These documents must show a current name and address within the BH-BL district.

When the residency questionnaire has been completed, Mrs. DeLuca will provide parents with a proof of residency ticket, as well as a registration forms packet.

(Note: Resident students who have been attending private or parochial schools and are now transferring to district schools will already be in the district census database, but still need to obtain a proof of residency ticket from Mrs. DeLuca.)

Step No. 2

The second step is to take this residency ticket to the child’s new school, along with the child’s health and immunization records, last report card or transfer notice, and any standardized test scores. Elementary pupils also need to present their birth certificate or baptismal notice.

A special registration session for all incoming kindergarten pupils is held every March. Pupils must be five years old on or by December 1 of the year they enter kindergarten to be eligible to attend school.