The VFW Teacher of the Year award recognizes three exceptional teachers from across that state for their outstanding commitment to teaching citizenship and patriotism. Kurt will be honored at a reception this March.
“Congratulations to Kurt for his dedication and passion on citizenship education, as well as his annual efforts to promote the VFW Voices of Democracy Program to our students. His recognition is definitely well-deserved,” says BH-BL High School Principal Tim Brunson.
The VFW Teacher of the Year award recognizes three exceptional teachers for their outstanding commitment to teaching citizenship and patriotism. Each year, a certified/licensed elementary, middle school and high school teacher whose curriculum focuses on citizenship education topics can be nominated for the award.
The 2020 NY State Teachers of the Year were judged with the selections of an elementary teacher from Long Island, a middle school teacher from Buffalo and a high school teacher from BH-BL HS. They select the Teacher of the Year by evaluating four criteria:
- Citizenship-to what extent does the teacher encourage and/or model good citizenship and community involvement?
- Innovation-how much innovation does the teacher utilize in & out of the classroom in promoting citizenship education. Does this teacher’s effort reflect an ongoing desire to stimulate the students?
- Resources– to what degree has this teacher demonstrated an ability to identify and utilize new and exceptional resources in citizenship education? Does this teacher tap into outside agencies, organizations and individuals to acquire materials and expertise? Examples, community interaction, field trips, guest speakers.
- Passion-to what degree does this teacher appear to be passionate about the profession of teaching and the teaching of citizenship? For example, do they take a personal interest in their student’s individual success?
The VFW New York State HS Teacher of the Year winner will go on to complete with the other 49 State winners for the VFW National HS Teacher of the Year. That person will receive:
- $1,000 for professional development expenses.
- $1,000 for his/her school.
- Two award plaques: one for the Teacher & the other for the school.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to attend the national VFW conference to receive their award.