2021 Universal Pre Kindergarten Questions and Answers
Does my child qualify for the UPK program?
Children who are four years old prior to or on December 1, 2021 and are not eligible for Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year are therefore eligilble for the UPK program. Additionally, there is no income requirement for eligibility. It’s important to note, however, that this entire process is pending upon community-based organizations to partner with and then State Education approval before BH-BL can move forward with the timeline we have outlined below.
How many spots are available for the 2021-2022 school year?
There are approximately 70 openings for students. If more than 70 students/families apply, the district will use a lottery system to randomly select 70 students from the list of interested families. See timeline below for when that will happen.
What are the days/hours of this program?
Pending state approval and community organizations to partner with, this program is slated to run five days per week for five hours per day for a total of 180 days. Lunch and snack will be provided.
Will transportation be provided for this program?
Transportation is not available. Families will have to transport to and from the UPK program.
What is the cost of this program?
The cost of the UPK program is free for the five hours of school that it are provided. There may be additional costs if a family chooses wrap-around child care if this can be offered.
Where will the BH-BL UPK be housed?
This program will be housed on the site of the community-based organization(s) that have been chosen to partner with BH-BL . The program will not be housed at one of the district schools.
Will there be before and after care provided?
This will depend upon what community-based organization(s) the district partners with and if the organizations are able to provide before and after care to families.
What is the timeline for when parents will find out if their child will be in the BH-BL UPK Program?
Timeline for summer of 2021:
- ASAP: Families should let the coordinators know if they are interested in having their four-year-old participate in the 2021-2022 UPK program (contact info is below)
- Mid July: BH-BL needs to identify interested community-based organizations that want to partner with BH-BL and have them complete the Request for Proposal
- July: BH-BL needs to choose which organization(s) from those that completed a Request for Proposal will be providing the UPK program
- July 31: BH-BL has to submit their Request for Proposal to NYS Education Department. The proposal will include the partner agencies.
- Early August: BH-BL will send out applications to the list of interested families.
- Mid August: BH-BL will let families know who will participate in the 2021-2022 UPK program and what organizations they will attend
- September 8, 2021: The BH-BL UPK School Starts